Released in 2017, “Desire” is a film that blends sensuality, mystery, and romance to craft a captivating story of passion, secrets, and forbidden desires. If you found “Desire” enthralling and are on the lookout for more cinematic experiences that share its thematic and stylistic elements, you’re in for a cinematic treat. Let’s delve into a selection of films that echo the essence of “Desire” while exploring the nuances of love, passion, and the human condition.
Discovering Films Similar to Desire (2017)
1. The Handmaiden (2016): Directed by Park Chan-wook, this South Korean masterpiece is a visually stunning and seductive tale of love and deception. Set in 1930s Korea, it follows a con artist who employs a young handmaiden in a scheme targeting a wealthy heiress. As their relationship deepens, secrets unravel, and desires ignite in unexpected ways.
2. Disobedience (2017): Directed by Sebastián Lelio, this film navigates the complexities of love and desire within the confines of a strict religious community. Starring Rachel Weisz and Rachel McAdams, it explores the rekindling of a passionate romance between two women, challenging societal norms and familial expectations.
3. Blue Is the Warmest Color (2013): This French coming-of-age drama, directed by Abdellatif Kechiche, is an emotional journey through the life of a young woman as she discovers her sexuality and engages in an intense and passionate relationship with an older artist.
4. The Duke of Burgundy (2014): Directed by Peter Strickland, this visually sumptuous film delves into the world of BDSM, exploring the intricacies of desire and control within a lesbian relationship. It’s a sensuous and thought-provoking exploration of intimacy.
5. Carol (2015): Directed by Todd Haynes, this film set in the 1950s is a beautifully shot and emotionally charged exploration of love and desire. It tells the story of a young photographer who falls in love with an older woman navigating a tumultuous divorce.
6. A Bigger Splash (2015): Directed by Luca Guadagnino, this sultry and intense drama stars Tilda Swinton as a rock star whose tranquil vacation with her boyfriend is disrupted by the arrival of her enigmatic ex-lover and his daughter. Desires simmer beneath the surface, creating a web of tension and longing.
7. Eyes Wide Shut (1999): Stanley Kubrick’s final film is a psychological exploration of desire and sexual obsession. Starring Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman, it delves into the hidden world of a secret society, unveiling desires and temptations.
8. Nymphomaniac (2013): Directed by Lars von Trier, this two-part film is a provocative and explicit journey through a woman’s life as she recounts her sexual experiences and desires. It delves into the complexities of human sexuality and the impact of desire on one’s life.
9. The Duke of Madrid (2022): A more recent addition, this film directed by Pepe Cabezas unfolds a passionate and illicit affair between a diplomat’s wife and a young painter in the vibrant backdrop of 1920s Madrid. It’s a tale of forbidden love and the consequences of desire.
10. In the Mood for Love (2000): Directed by Wong Kar-wai, this visually captivating film explores restrained desire and unspoken connections between two neighbors who suspect their spouses of infidelity. Set in 1960s Hong Kong, it’s a poignant exploration of love and longing.
Movies like Desire (2017) offer an enchanting mix of sensuality, feelings, and mystery. They explore the complicated aspects of human attraction and relationships, either through direct storytelling or skilled acting. Each film gives a different view of love, secrets, and forbidden romance. They are great options for people who want movies that feel like Desire. These films will make you feel deeply and leave you thinking about love and desire even after the movie ends.